We've noticed you are using an outdated internet browser. For optimum performance and usability of the this website, we suggest you upgrade your browser.

Travel & mobility

For members in Lloyds Banking Group.

Last updated: 19 July 2023

Most employers include some sort of flexibility in contracts of employment which allow them to adapt their business as things change. This flexibility may allow for an adjustment to your hours of work, shift pattern, or work location.

There are a set of principles that define the distance and time duration that your employer believes to be normally reasonable. This is up to 25 miles, or a journey time from home to work of 1 hour and 15 minutes. There are different criteria applicable for branch closures which you will find in a later section of this article.

However, what is reasonable may vary between individuals, geographical locations, modes of transport and other situations. What the business believe may be reasonable, may not, in fact, be reasonable to you. Your individual circumstances must be considered, including the impact to any personal or caring responsibilities that you may have outside of work.

Any location move can be on a temporary or permanent basis.

Expenses & travel allowances

If you do make a long term or permanent move to your base location at your employer's request, and this lengthens your commute by 10 miles or more, or an additional 30 minute travel time, your employer will pay your travel expenses. This is called a travel allowance.

Travel allowances compensate you through an additional allowance, payable monthly along with your normal salary. They are payable for up to 12 months after the move has occurred. In exceptional circumstances, your employer may agree to review this and extend this period. There are different criteria applicable for branch closures which you will find in a later section of this article.

Where travel allowances are payable, you are being compensated for the additional expenses that you incur, and these will need to be calculated. For example, if you normally walk to work and the requested move requires you to travel by car then your travel allowance would cover the cost of your travel using the applicable mileage rates, and any parking. In another example, if you currently pay for parking and the cost of parking is the same in your new location, then you wouldn't be paid the cost of parking as there is no detriment to you.

Where you are asked to travel away from your base work location to another location - for example to support another work location for a day, week, or month - and this increases your travel costs, these should be paid through the normal expenses policy. Travel allowance is only paid on longer term periods of relocation.


Your employer should give you as much notice of a proposed change in work location as possible, however as a minimum, at least two weeks' notice of a permanent move to a new work location must be given.

Special conditions for Branch closures

This only applies to branch closures.

Accord has agreed some significant positive changes for members impacted by branch closure decisions. Reasonable travel will now be defined as 20 miles one way or 1 hour of travel time one way. 

This means if you're base branch closes and you're asked to move to a branch:

  • 15 miles away which takes you 1 hr 15 mins – this will not be considered reasonable, but you can agree to the changes on an individual basis.
  • 25 miles away which takes you 45 mins – this will not be considered reasonable, but you can agree to the changes on an individual basis. 

Travel allowance (paid for reasonable additional travel costs incurred because of a move to another branch because of the closure of your normal base branch) will be paid to you for an unlimited period whilst you remain in the “go to” branch. The payment ends if you decided to leave the “go to” branch for any reason.

Was this article helpful?

2 out of 2 found this article helpful

Share this page

Do you still need help?

Contact us