Protecting the health & safety of pregnant workers
The TUC has published new guidance for union reps on protecting the health and safety of pregnant workers.
The toolkit is designed to help reps ensure that the health and safety of members who are pregnant is protected from the moment the rep becomes aware that a member is pregnant, to their return to work and beyond.
The toolkit includes:
- Employers’ responsibilities for health and safety
- Protection for women in casual and insecure employment
- What to do when a member tells you they are pregnant
- Risk assessments, suitable alternative work and maternity suspensions
- Types of risks affecting pregnant women
- Supporting women with breastfeeding and returning to work
- Checklist for union reps – negotiating and updating your H&S policy
Free subscriptions for members on maternity, adoption or shared parental leave
Accord members who take maternity, adoption or shared parental leave may be entitled to a subscription free period of up to 12 months.
Applications must be sent to Accord before the period of leave starts, and members must read the scheme rules to check eligibility before applying.
Those who are eligible for the free period will still be able to use our services and member benefits whilst on leave.Apply for free period
Support for members
If you need further support or guidance, contact your local Accord rep or regional officer to discuss further. Alternatively, feel free to chat to us via our online web chat (available Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm), or drop us an email: [email protected]